More Cleanup

I hardly recognized my engine.  It was clean as a whistle and looked brand new.  Rick had installed the new sleeves, ground the valve
seats and installed the new valve guides and valves, turned the crankshaft journals, attached the new pistons to the rods with new piston pins, and inserted the rings.  He further offered to clean up the valve and lifter rod covers and the oil pan at no extra charge.  I had not brought them along with the block and head, but brought them in later and he cleaned them while I waited.  What service!


While waiting for the engine during its passage through the machine shop, I had taken a closer look at the clutch housing.  It had sat exposed to the elements for many years and had standing water and lots of crud in the bottom.  The water had obviously created a lot of rust, which I attacked with wire brush, putty knife and chisel.  The hydraulic lines were what most concerned me.  The return line was full of greasy looking gunk.  The pressure line looked like it had been filled by mud daubers, wasp-like insects that build mud nests and will fill any small opening or tube to suit their needs.  I realized I was going to have to split the tractor behind the transmission, too, another aspect of this project I had not originally anticipated.


I had already opened the drains on the hydraulic reservoir section and differential draining a lot of water from the hydraulic section and thick goop from the differential, but I was not prepared for what poured out once the transmission was freed from the rear section.  It was the nastiest looking petroleum goo I had seen yet and it didn’t smell any better than it looked.  I had a floor jack under that section, so I lowered it as far as it would go and let it drain into a pan, assisting the process with a can of brake cleaner.


I set the transmission section on a couple of blocks while still supported by the hydraulic lift to see if I could clean out the hydraulic lines that run through it at the bottom of this section.  Since I also am a shooter and own the tools for cleaning various rifles and shotguns, I now brought these tools into play.  The return line is about the size of a 10 ga. shotgun barrel and the pressure line appears to be about .410 size.  Rods, brushes and patches that normally clean shotgun barrels were brought out and, initially using WD-40 as my solvent, I began cleaning the hydraulic lines.  The return line, with the oily goo in it, cleaned up easily and polished out to a nice shine.  The pressure line with the mud in it was pitted by rust and did not clean up as well.  In fact, I was fearful that it may have been weakened enough that it would burst under pressure.  I tested it as best I could with air pressure and it held with as much pressure as I could force into it.
Once the parts were cleaned and de-greased, i had to start painting them to prevent them from rusting again. 
Subpages (1): Painting and New Tools